Google Workspace offers all the productivity apps billions of users know and love, from Gmail to Docs. If you're trying to create a solid foundation of communication and project management within your organization, Google Workspace is an incredible toolbox to start with.
How to Set Up Google Workspace
To begin setting up Workspace, navigate to your primary Google Admin page. You can reach this page by clicking the "More" icon on your admin panel and selecting the "Setup” option.
Verify Your Domain
- Your first step is to verify your domain address so Google knows you own your domain name. Clicking on the "Verify Your Domain" prompt will give you the option to select "Add a domain host record (TXT or CNAME)."
- A code will appear in the value/answerdestination/ field. Copy this code.
- Sign into your hosting account and navigate to the DNS section. There should be an option to add a custom record.
- Paste the code into this field.
- Once your domain is verified, you'll be able to activate your account and begin utilizing all of the services.
Adding New Users
In order to connect with other members of your organization, you'll need to add them to your Google Workspace account.
- First, click on the "Users" icon on the admin panel.
- Locate All organizations on the left and select the organizational unit you are adding to.
- At the top of the page, click Add new user.
- Enter the first and last name of each user you want to add. You can also take the opportunity to add profile pictures and secondary email addresses for each user.
- Next, you'll create a password for each new user, or you can use the automatically generated password option.
- Then, click "Add New User" to officially add them to your Workspace account.
- At this point, you can invite the added users to all of the apps and functionalities within your Google Workspace.
Groups are a great way to make sure each user has access to the apps, information, and users they need.
To create a group using the admin console:
- Navigate to the Admin Panel and click on "Groups."
- Click the plus sign icon on the bottom right of your screen.
- Name your new group — feel free to be creative!
- Create an email address for the group. This will be a new email address from your domain, tied to this group specifically.
- Set up the access levels this group needs. There are five separate access levels you can assign to groups.
- Click the "Create" button.
- Navigate back to "Users" and add anyone you want to the newly created group.
You can also create communication or collaboration groups using Google Groups. These groups cannot be used to configure features or services.
To create a group using Google Groups:
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click Create group at the top of the page.
- Choose your settings and enter group information when prompted.
- Click Create group.
- After a few minutes, your new Google Group will become active.
What is Included in Google Workspace
Google Workspace (formerly known as G Suite) includes several business-optimized apps in addition to the custom email domain, including:
- Google Calendar
- Google Meet
- Google Chat
- Google Drive
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Google Forms
- Google Sites
What are Ways to Use Google Workspace Effectively?
Google Workspace is flexible, functional, and has a variety of customization options that help you make the most of this platform. Some helpful features include:
- Filters - Utilize Gmail filters to make sure your emails are pre-sorted and save time clearing your inbox each day. The Gmail filter system allows you to increase specificity beyond the default options so you can work faster.
- Revisions - The Google Docs history feature allows you to see all the changes that have been made to a document, when, and by whom. With this tool, you'll stay organized and on top of any changes to important documents.
- Macros - When it comes to Google Sheets, it's all about the macros. But don’t be intimidated! Even minor maco usage saves you huge amounts of time in the long run.
- Confidential Mode - If you're sending sensitive documents and high-security information, try using Google's confidential mode. This mode can be toggled in Google Admin, and it makes sure only relevant parties are able to interact with messages you send.
How to Use Google Workspace for Business
Customization and communication are key to making Google Workspace apps work for your business, and groups are an important part of that. The advanced control offered to administrators is incredibly helpful for organizing people within an organization and making sure they're able to stay in touch no matter where they are. Information and access can be restricted to only relevant teams, and changes can be made instantly.
Take advantage of everything Google Workspace has to offer by utilizing the full administrative capabilities for managing apps, groups, and security settings.
Promevo is a trusted, certified Google partner who helps clients get the most out of Workspace. At every step of your Google journey, our experts are here to keep you organized, address pain points, and customize solutions. Whether you need help migrating to Google, or you are looking to enhance the way you use Workspace for your business, we are here for you. Contact us today to get started.
What can I do with Google Workspace?
Google Workspace offers personalized email addresses and domains, customizable security options, and real-time data sharing via the cloud. The full suite of Google apps for business is also accessible and coordinated through your Workspace account. Connect team members, manage sensitive data, track progress, and more with Google Workspace.
Is Google Workspace difficult to use?
No, Google Workspace is very user-friendly. Despite the complex level of functionality and application access, Workspace is designed to be intuitive. It also offers straightforward third-party app integration.
What is the difference between Gmail and Google Workspace?
Gmail is just one application in the Google Workspace suite. A customized Gmail account is included in your Google Workspace business plan.
What is the advantage of Google Workspace?
Google Workspace allows companies to communicate in real-time from anywhere in the world. It offers advanced security, communication, cloud storage, and application functionality to make your business run smoother.