Here at Promevo, Google is in our DNA. We are a sell, service, and build partner focused on helping organizations of all sizes accelerate their Google journey and take their business to greater heights.
One of the ways we accomplish this goal is by keeping you updated on the latest Google news.
In a bid to further streamline storage and improve collaboration, Google recently announced upcoming changes coming to Google Workspace storage, specifically for Business Starter clients. Let’s take a look at the benefits and implications of these updates.
A Guide to the New Google Workspace Storage Updates
Understanding Pooled Storage
Before this new update, each user in Google Workspace had a fixed amount of storage space allocated to their individual accounts. However, starting in May 2023, users under Google Workspace Business Starter will be able to take advantage of pooled storage.
Pooled storage essentially consolidates storage capacity across all users within an organization, providing a collective pool of storage for the entire team to use. According to Google, “Pooled storage provides a more simple and flexible way to manage storage, as all storage is shared across the organization, removing the need to manage it on a per-user basis.”
If you exceed your pooled storage limit, you do have the option to either reallocate resources to free up space or purchase additional storage. Contact Promevo to learn how we can help you update your account or secure savings on a new Google Workspace license.
Introducing Shared Drives
In addition to pooled storage, Google is introducing shared drives to Business Starter as part of their updates to Google Workspace storage.
Shared drives are shared spaces where teams can collaborate on files and documents. Unlike individual drives, shared drives are owned by the team or organization, ensuring continuity even when members leave the company.
This centralized approach to file management fosters collaboration and simplifies access to important documents, making it easier for teams to work together seamlessly.
Benefits of Pooled Storage & Shared Drives
Now, the most important question: how will these updates to Google Workspace storage impact your organization?
- Improved Collaboration: Pooled storage and shared drives promote collaboration by allowing teams to access and edit files in a centralized location. This reduces the need for multiple versions of documents, enhances version control, and simplifies teamwork.
- Enhanced File Management: With pooled storage, businesses no longer need to worry about individual storage limitations. The aggregated storage pool ensures that teams have ample space to store and share files, fostering a more organized and efficient work environment.
- Seamless Transition: By introducing shared drives, Google Workspace eliminates the hassle of transferring ownership and permissions when team members change roles or leave the organization. Shared drives remain intact, ensuring continuity and ease of access for all members.
- Cost Savings: Pooled storage allows organizations to optimize their Google Workspace storage usage by eliminating the need for individual accounts with varying storage capacities. This can lead to cost savings, especially for businesses with a large number of users.
Considerations for Google Workspace Business Starter Users
While the introduction of pooled storage and shared drives brings numerous benefits, Google Workspace Business Starter users should keep the following considerations in mind:
- Transition Planning: It is important for organizations to plan and communicate the transition to pooled storage and shared drives effectively. This includes training employees on new features and ensuring a smooth migration of existing files and data.
- Google Workspace Storage Management: With pooled storage, it is crucial for administrators to monitor storage usage to avoid exceeding the allocated capacity. Setting clear guidelines and implementing best practices for file management can help prevent any storage-related issues.
- Data Security: As shared drives provide broader access to files, organizations must implement appropriate security measures and access controls to safeguard sensitive data. This may involve defining permissions and reviewing sharing settings regularly
These upcoming changes to Google Workspace storage, introducing pooled storage and shared drives for Google Workspace Business Starter, mark an important milestone in enhancing collaboration and streamlining file management.
By consolidating storage resources and providing centralized access to shared drives, Google aims to empower teams with seamless collaboration, efficient file management, and improved productivity. As organizations embrace these updates, careful planning and implementation will ensure a smooth transition and maximize the benefits of these new features for their teams.
Have questions about these changes? Contact Promevo — we’d be happy to talk through your specific Workspace environment and ensure you have the Google Workspace storage you need.