If you need a portable kiosk, a Chromebook is a great option. By turning kiosk mode on, you can use your device as a guest registration desk, library catalog, and more. Chromebooks are a very affordable option if you need a simple, small-screen kiosk, and they’re a testament to the usability of ChromeOS devices.
Before you begin
Before you turn on kiosk mode, make sure you:
Note: If you're using your Chromebook at work or school and want to use it as a kiosk, ask your administrator to go to the Chrome admin panel and change your kiosk settings. If your device is from 2017 or later, it won't work in kiosk mode unless it's managed by an administrator.
Turn on kiosk mode
- Sign into your Chromebook.
- Open Chrome.
- At the top right, click More (3 vertical dots).
- Hover over More Tools and click Extensions.
- Turn on Developer mode in the top right corner.
- In the Google Admin console, go to Devices. Then click Chrome Devices.
Change the dropdown to Apps & Extensions.
- To apply the setting to all users, leave the top organizational unit selected. Otherwise, select a child organizational unit.
- Click Add and choose Add from the Chrome Web Store. Search for the Kiosk app and click Select.
- If prompted, accept permissions on behalf of your organization.
- In the panel on the right, set app and extension policies.
- Click Save.
Turn off kiosk mode
- Restart your Chromebook
- While the device is starting up, press the Ctrl + Alt + S keys on your keyboard. Kiosk mode will turn off, and the regular sign-in screen will appear.
Note: This is only temporary. Once the device falls asleep or is powered down, it will reboot into kiosk mode.
As a Google Partner, Promevo takes a holistic approach to your Google life. From ChromeOS device purchases to Google Workspace management, we provide end-to-end support and solutions as you navigate Google’s innovative technology.
If you want to shop for Chrome devices, browse our online store. Or, contact our team to get started using any of our services. All Promevo customers get free support from our Google-certified specialists, so get in touch with us today.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is kiosk-only mode in Chromebook?
Kiosk mode is a Chrome feature that enables your device to be used as a single-app kiosk or single window. This mode locks the rest of your device so it can act as a kiosk.
How do I install kiosk apps on my Chromebook?
As an administrator, you can use the Google Admin console to customize Chrome kiosk apps. Learn how to manage kiosk apps here.
Can I make my browser into a kiosk?
Yes, you can auto-launch a kiosk app on ChromeOS devices. Setting a kiosk app to launch automatically turns devices running ChromeOS into single-purpose devices.
How do I get to kiosk mode?
Follow our instructions above to turn your Chromebook into a kiosk. Learn more about managing Chrome kiosk app settings and managing kiosk applications here.