Google Workspace is a powerful suite of productivity tools for businesses that includes Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and more.
With so many resources under one umbrella, it's essential to stay organized as you manage your Workspace and users. Google Workspace Alerts is a feature that allows Workspace administrators to configure real-time notifications for different types of activities, including security incidents, billing issues, and more.
As a Workspace admin, it's important to know how to use these alerts to stay informed about what's happening in your organization and keep your users safe and secure as they utilize the innovative tools available in Google Workspace.
Types of Google Workspace Alerts
First, let's review the different alert types you can configure as a Google Workspace administrator:
- User Alert: This alert feature is triggered when unusual sign-in attempts are detected for a user account. An alert is sent to the administrator, allowing them to take action.
- Drive Sharing Alert: This alert feature notifies the administrator when a user shares a file or folder with someone outside of your organization.
- Inbox Alert: This alert notifies the administrator when a user receives an email with suspicious content or from a suspicious address.
- Security Alert: This alert feature notifies the Workspace administrator if there has been a significant change to the domain's security settings or if there has been a security breach.
- Compliance Alert: This alert is triggered when a policy violation occurs within your organization's Workspace environment.
- And More. (Anything that is logged you are able to have an alert made for).
Setting Up & Configuring Google Workspace Alerts
Enabling Alert Center in Google Workspace
Before creating alerts, you need to enable the Alert Center in your Google Workspace account. This can be done in just a few steps through the Google Admin console:
- Log in to your Google Workspace account and click on the gear icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Select “Security” from the drop-down menu.
- Then, click on "Alert Center."
- From the banner at the top of the screen, click "Turn On." Once you have enabled the Alert Center, you can start creating alerts for different types of activity in your account.
Managing Alert Notifications & Preferences
With your alerts turned on, you want to ensure you can manage notifications and stay organized. Google Workspace offers several notification options for alerts, including email, mobile push notifications, and SMS. You can also choose to receive alerts in real-time or on a daily or weekly basis.
To manage your alert notifications and preferences, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Settings” icon in the Alert Center.
- Click on “Notifications” in the navigation bar on the left side of the screen.
- Select the types of notifications you want to receive and how often you want to receive them. You can also customize your alerts by selecting specific criteria, such as a particular sender or keyword. This ensures that you only receive notifications that are relevant to you.
Workspace Alert Mistakes to Avoid
When setting up alerts in Google Workspace, it's important to be selective about the types of activity you want to receive notifications for. Too many alerts can quickly become overwhelming and difficult to manage.
Remember to check your notification settings regularly to ensure you are only receiving notifications that are relevant to you. If you find that a specific alert is no longer necessary, you can easily disable it in the Alert Center settings.
Contact Promevo for Google Workspace Assistance
Whether you're new to Google products and need help getting your team set up or you're looking to get more out of your Workspace subscription, Promevo is here to help.
Promevo is a Google-certified partner specializing in Workspace management, Google Cloud management, ChromeOS devices, and more. We'll take a look at whatever pain points your team is experiencing and craft one-of-a-kind, Google-focused solutions. Contact us today to see how we can help.
FAQs: Google Workspace Alerts
What are Google Workspace alerts?
Google Workspace Alerts are notifications that inform users of any activity happening within their Google Workspace account. These notifications can be sent via email or as a mobile push notification. Users can choose the types of events they want to be notified about, such as changes to shared files, new calendar invites, and more.
What are some common types of Google Workspace Alerts?
Some common types of Google Workspace Alerts include:
- Changes to files or folders in Google Drive
- New calendar invites or changes to existing events
- New shared documents, sheets, or presentations
- Changes to Google Sites
- Missing attachments in emails
Why am I getting random Google Alerts?
There are a few possible reasons you may be receiving unexpected Google Workspace alerts:
• You have notifications enabled for an app you don't actively use. Disable them if you don't need them.
• Someone else set up alerts on your behalf. Check existing alerts for ones you don't remember creating.
• Alerts were accidentally configured with very broad triggers that match common activities. Refine the alert rules to be more specific.
• There is a technical issue causing improper alert triggering. Try deleting and recreating the alert.
How do I turn off Google Workspace alerts?
To turn off Google Workspace alerts:
• Open the Google Workspace app where the alert is configured (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, etc).
• Go to the notifications settings.
• Find the specific alert you want to disable and switch it off or delete it.
• Save your updated notification settings.
• The alerts should stop being sent. You can also turn off notifications entirely for any app you don't need alerts from. Just be aware this disables all alerts for that Workspace app.