As your organization grows, you may need to add new users to your Google Workspace environment. This process is straightforward with just a few simple steps. So, if you’re wondering how to add users in the Google Admin Console, keep reading.
What Are User Accounts on Google Admin Console?
User accounts provide a name, password, and email address for people to access Google Workspace. Accounts can also be created for mailing lists and any alternate email addresses that users may need.
Steps to Add a New User
Before you begin
- You need to have at least one license for each user before creating a new user. You can purchase Chrome licenses or Google Workspace licenses on our online shop.
- To create a user account, you just need the person's first and last name. It might be a good idea to have a secondary email address to send sign-in details for the new user.
- First, open the Google Admin Console homepage. Then, go to Menu > Directory > Users.
- Select the name of the organizational unit you want to add a user to under All organizations on the left side.
- Once you’ve selected the appropriate organization, click Add new user at the top of the page.
- Next, add any necessary account information, including:
- First and last name
- Primary email - The Admin console will suggest a unique username different from others in your domain. You can accept the suggested username or change it to your liking.
- Secondary email (optional)
- Phone number (optional)
- You can optionally add a password, organizational unit, or profile photo by clicking Manage user’s password, organizational unit, and profile photo.
- Organizational unit - For users grouped in organizational units, click Edit > select the corresponding organization > click Done
- Profile photo - Click Upload Profile Photo > select and open the photo file
- Password - To create a new password, you can either generate a password automatically or create a unique password yourself
- Click Add New User. The New user added window will open.
- Click Copy Password to send the new user their password via secondary email address or chat conversation.
- Click Preview and Send to send account information to the new user.
- Click Done to finish.
Once you’re done, your new user can sign into your organization’s Google products and services. If you added a secondary email address, the new user will receive a welcome email message that explains how to sign in for the first time. Please note, it can take up to 24 hours for new user accounts to appear in the searchable global directory.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I add another user to my Google account?
Sign into the Google Admin Console using your administrator account. Go to Users, then click Invite new user/Add new user at the top of the page. Fill in the requisite user information, then click Add New User.
How do I manage users in Google workspace?
You can reset a user’s password, change a user’s name, or delete a user by signing into Google Admin, then clicking on Directory in the menu on the left followed by Users.
Can a Google Account have multiple users?
Google recommends that users avoid sharing an account among users. Multiple people in an organization frequently using the same account may result in reaching an account threshold, extra security questions, or a temporarily locked account.
How do I use Google Admin console?
To use Google Admin console, go to admin.google.com, click Add account, then enter the email address and password for your admin account.